Friday, May 16, 2008

The New Canoe


Well, not exactly new. Last weekend, we found and purchased a Greenwood canoe from a woman that apparently came from an estate sale. The canoe is in great condition and there's very little to be done on it to get it back onto the water. I say "very little" because I've seen much worse. She estimates it's a 1973 - although a helpful fellow on the WHCA forums suggest it might be later in the 70's since the maker only then started stamping the stem bands with serial numbers, which ours has.

The way I see, it I'll be:
  • Stripping the old varnish
  • Recanvasing the hull
  • Replacing the outer gunwale with one of mahogany
  • Installing brass stem-bands
  • Installing new brass fasteners all-around
So, follow me as I attempt this. It's something I've always wanted to do and am excited to see how it turns out.

No comments: